Saturday, April 4, 2009

When we gonna get to the good part...

Ramblings Post #21
Law school is doing something to me that hasn't happened in a long time. It's challenging me to actually think. My job is down to rote, with the occasional burst of insanity, but as each set of facts is different, and each changes the interpretation, the mind has to function, not just respond. This is interesting.


Well, it almost that time. Again.

In just a few short weeks, my mind will have to honed to a razor edge so that my relatively lightweight knowledge of the law can be tested.

Unlike last year, where I waited until the end unbelieving of those who had come before me, I actually started my finals prep in early March (that week of spring break), before I realized my copious notes were virtually useless. At least I tried. I did what I could, working my notes over and distilling them down to the outline they suggest we use to organize things. My outlines were surprisingly short, and since I'm not that good (yet!) I knew I had a problem.

My note taking had to get better.

The short on credit hours but long on work research class is over, and I didn't make the cut for the oral presentation. The idea I'm starting to like this tickling over in my head, because while being elated to have more time to study, I'm a little disappointed I didn't get in. I guess the Law school bug is creeping in.

My Property prof is sharpening his pencils and preparing to unleash his beast. He's obtuse and sometimes hard to follow, but he's been teaching for decades and he knows his stuff inside and out. And enjoys a good pun, which comes in handy on the final.

My Contracts prof has one concern: Our future clients. And so to protect them against us, or rather to insure they get the best possible legal representation, he's going to run us through the wringer. Again. Great guy.

And my Criminal Law professor is trying to wean the emotion out of us requesting the strengths and weaknesses of both sides. He wants the answer to his test like a judges ruling, on point but dispassionate. I can see where he's coming from though.

And then, because checking Law Exams takes weeks...I'll see if I can get Constitutional Law underway before I even know my grades. Yay, me.

Looking at things now, I can see how some of my ways of thinking have adjusted, even in things not necessarily law related. My evaluation skills have improved, and I tend to ask more questions. Interesting. Let's see how this goes.

Barkeep.... a sparkling water. Yeah, I know it tastes funny, but hey...live a little

No comments: