Monday, January 26, 2009

Picking your battles

Ramblings Post #3
It's time for a school update. Yeah, this is the third week, but I've had other things on my mind and other foolishness to focus on, and they didn't give back the final tests - with explanation - until right around now. So the fear is over. The fear that I've wasted my time...and money, and now I'm stuck. Read on Macduff.


Well, finally all the grades are back and it's official...I didn't fail the first semester!

I know, I know, that's a fairly low standard to meet, but I for one am letting the non-alcoholic sparkling champipple flow. For a guy who hadn't been in a classroom of any kind in 6 years - tech certification - or in a classroom where I didn't already know all the answers in 15 years, I like to think I did fairly okay. Okay my writing, um..my legal writing needs a bit of tightening up, but everything else I did fairly okay in.

Trust me, how I write is not any way shape or form a "legal" style.

I didn't really apply myself like I should have, at first feeling that I could do this much like I'd done high school - nearly all last minute - and like I had done while in college - mostly last minute - and like I had done the LSAT that got me into this mess - five or six days of studying, maybe two hours a session. That's not gonna cut it. I need to ramp it up. So I'm going to start doing it like I should have done it ALL of last semester, not just the end, and start with concentrating on the weekends with a bit more verve. Unlike say, this weekend.

I spent most of the weekend futzing around trying not to do my homework. I may have to start leaving the house so I can concentrate. I would sit down and read the case, decide to get some kool-aid, while I was up make a sandwich, then since I couldn't eat and study, find something else to do while I ate, then since I was already taking a break, I may as well check my email, and etc and so on. Getting kool-aid would turn into 45 minutes. True, I got some laundry done, cleaned out the fridge, and got a few other things done, but I can't do that anymore. Okay, I will still do laundry and clean out the fridge, but the other stuff. Gotta stop.

I'm go do the right thing. Meet all my profs...get some tips and pointers, bring it all up to snuff. I'm already down one heck of a student loan, and too many folk already know. I'm in this trick now!

And paying attention in class wouldn't hurt either, since the break is over.

Barkeep. One long tall five hour energy drink and a book of black letter law. I be ready!

No comments: