Wednesday, January 7, 2009

The Truth shall set you free

Mental Rehab Post #47
There things you don't realize you can't do until you try to do them. I know I'm not a great dancer because well, I've tried. I can move to the beat, in a crowd, and once took ballroom dancing lessons. But I'm not a middle of the dance floor, "hey watch this", dancing with stars wanna-be type of cat. And then I realized something else.


I can't do days off

This past year was an odd year for me. The holiday season year afforded me the longest stretch of off time in nearly six years. I had nine days total - five days after Christmas and four days after New Years. I spent Christmas with the family, but New Years was right here in Atlanta.

I don't know if I can ever do that again.

Sporty used to razz me about vacation time. She utilized hers to the fullest when we worked at the same company, but she knew I never used any of mine. Any. A quick look in the system today, courtesy of a person who formerly worked personnel, showed that since 2003 I've taken only 15 days. That would 5 days in 2005 for a car accident, and 10 days this year mostly for school. Yeah, in 2004, 2006, and 2007...I took no days off. Zero. Nada. Zilch.

That means for roughly 1320 days -the six years I've been here - I've taken off 15 or 0.0113 percent. I would be at work 98.8% of the time.

Sporty may have been right. I may have forgotten how to vacation.

Given all that time off, I woke up one day at three in the afternoon. I played video games until sunrise the night before because I didn't have to get up for work. I ate snacks and lunch meat sandwiches, because with the exception of Spanky telling me she was going to run through, I didn't want to be bothered to heat up the stove. I relished any function that got me out of the house because it gave me direction and something to do.

Maybe I'm just not a self starter.

Okay, I used to imagine vacations with well, you know who, where we would travel and do things, vacation type things, but now I wonder if I could manage free time like that. And if that isn't a troubling statement, I don't know what is.

Barkeep...I'm getting back on the smoothies! Let me get that Pineapple with Passion fruit.

No comments: