Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Five Minutes Watching : Too Big to Fail.

I don't watch a lot of movies, because I don't have time. But at the end of day of work, then class, then reading for the next class, and writing down what I wrote so I can remember it all, I'll turn on one of them pay channels I have for just such an emergency and catch five minutes of something.

William Hurt as Hank Paulson in HBO's "Too Big To Fail"

Hank Paulson sure was great guy. Yeah, right.

One day, when I have time I'm going to go back through and see if this movie was financed by Goldman Sachs. Because in it the masters of modern finance - the aforementioned Goldman - look like ordinary bankers, and their former head, and then Treasury guy Paulson is a selfless paragon of patriotic virtue. Um, you don't get to be the head of Goldman Sachs, the dominant financial beast on Wall Street of the last two decades, by being a selfless paragon of virtue. You just don't.

Other than that, it does a fair job of explaining what happened to cause the failure. And if you watched the last few seconds, yes, that number is about right. That's what Duke and Harvard have it figured at.

No comments: