Monday, May 16, 2011

Computer Issues

Ramblings Post #189
Chicken wings. Fried hard. Crinkle cut fries. Warm ketchup. A tall cold Beer. Some good friends, on a deck outside under a setting sun, where the breeze isn't too bad. Not that this has anything at all to do with post that follows, but it sure is a nice mental picture. Okay, maybe some BBQ, instead. I'm not allowed to have pork anymore, and it really ain't BBQ if its not pork.


I'm big on computers. When I first started messing with computers, it was the mid-80's, you had to bring your own copy of MS-DOS on a floppy diskette, everything was a command line function, and my parents Commodore was a magic device because it came preloaded with games - if a football game with four different plays per side constituted a "game." Now, as I grew older I developed other interests, but I kept an eye on computing. I was the "unofficial" computer lab tech in college, and my father still calls for help from time to time.

In the end, I didn't end up a fat bulk huddled over a screen hacking to systems world wide because I could. I could have, but instead I ended up a fat bulk chasing women I couldn't have, drinking too much and trying to skate through reality until the good part started. But that is the whole rest of this blog, so I shant bore you with this.

But my aloofness fades and it all seems to come rushing back to me in an instant when I have a computer issue.

Currently, at some point when I wasn't paying attention ( probably from one of those stealth update), my Windows stopped talking to the modem on my home system. I plug the modem in directly, it talks to the Vista machine, but not the Windows 7. I've been tinkering with it for about a day or so, and hopefully will have it all sorted out in the next day or so.

I'm pissed because as a pseudo techie, I should have had this licked in the first five minutes. But because everything is so dumbed down, and finding the actual controls to anything in Windows now takes a veritable roadmap (not to mention nothing comes with "Worst Case" instructions) I've been less than effective.

There really is no other point to this post.

Oh, and classes just started for the summer. I'm still not too sure about this. But then again, this is the largest class I've taken in a while - more than 30 people!

Barkeep...whatever it is you drink to make it all chill. Wait, that's also legal to drink. Yeah, that.

No comments: