Monday, August 9, 2010

The Next Road

Ramblings Post #127
There is an age when wisdom substitutes for speed, and experience for enthusiasm. We all reach a peak, then begin a slow decline, but if put our minds to the issue, we find that life can better with a little thought, than with a lot of energy. Or so they say. Maybe for you, but I don't think I've reached that age yet. It's the genes.



I must be getting old, because I think I can see the end of this particular road.

This weekend was up and down.

On my change of eating habits and the like, I'm down nearly 30 pounds in about a month. I've added a lot of fiber, a lot a fruit and vegetables, and cut out sugar, salt and grease. You know, all the good food. It's not that bad really, I'm getting used to it, the flavors and what not. I checked in to the "cult" Saturday morning and I liked what I saw.

So of course, to celebrate making this change so effectively...I went out and had a pancake brunch with Spur. Which was bad. But the cult may be getting to me, as I felt guilty enjoying sitting on the patio with that food dripping warm maple syrup.

And then the University Bookstore was closed. On a Saturday. So I couldn't pickup my books. I asked why and they said because it was summer. I reminded them that classes start in 2 weeks but they said it is still, technically, summertime. So that was that.

Then, I went to a party.

The party is why I feel old. I went to a party with plenty of drinking, scantily clad women of a reasonable level of friendliness, and lots of loud music. I caroused and hung out till way past when I intended to. There was a time in my life when that was exactly the kind of party I wanted to roll up into. There was a time in my life when that type of party was what I was doing on the regular. And at the end of it all...I didn't have a good time. I looked at the photos, which showed up on Facebook in droves on cue, and although I see myself, it's not a series of good memories. There was a camera, we posed. A couple of laughs were had. I danced a little. Meh. It just was. It was mostly a lot of standing around, a lot of waiting for whatever was supposed to happen to start happening. I'm thinking, that time in my life, the "when is the next function" time, is waning. I've had that good time. I'm not really feeling it anymore. I woke up Sunday feeling blah about the whole thing, wishing I hadn't gone..or at least I should have left when I originally planned.

I spent all day Sunday at home, trying to get my mind right because of that very blah thought. I purposely didn't go out swinging from the tree branches this summer, because I knew school was going to come in the fall and getting back into the lockstep was going to be hard enough without party fever. But have I been away so long I can't remember why I used to go? Are my skills rusty and the ability to make "good party decisions" atrophied? If hanging out is not on my list of things to do, then what? I've got a lot on my plate with work and school, and a lot on my mind, and maybe I'm just tired. Or maybe I'm just ready for the next thing. The next road.

So the weekend was good with the weight loss, bad because the second I lost the weight I skipped on the plan, then the party I probably shouldn't have gone to, then the Cowboys won the Hall of Fame game - okay, it was scrubs v scrubs, but our scrubs are still better than yours! Up and down, as I said.

This is gonna sound strange, but I can't wait for school to start.

Yeah, Sporty thought it was funny too.

Barkeep, put it in the glass.

No comments: