Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Images

Ramblings Post #125
We all have things we meant to do. Things that if we had five more minutes, one more day, one more week, one more year, we'd get right on them. Okay, that's a lie, we'd do everything else putting them off again until we ran out of time. Some things are like that, they're better as a dream than as reality. It's sad, and if we put our minds to it, it doesn't have to be true.


I own three digital cameras.

I have a the camera on my phone. Well, who doesn't? You've seen pictures from it, although it is only two mega pixels, it's what I use when I need to quick snap something.

I have a digital video camera, five mega pixels or so, that takes the most crisp video. But it also takes stills.

I have a twelve mega pixel camera about the size of a credit card.

Now, I own three digital cameras. Take all three most places I go. I take almost no photographs. (5th statement)

I don't know what it is. I was looking back through my file of photos of myself, and without promo photos taken by others from various events about town, there would exist almost no photos of me for the past ten years. I subscribe to a theory my mother once put forth regarding photos: That I tend to take a bad photo, because in my photos I look just like me!

It's weird. In the mirror, my face has one quality. It appears longer, and my eyes bright and alive. In a photo, my face appears fat, almost jowly, as though I'd just eaten a ham and then found out pork doesn't agree with me. In both I'm still to fat around the middle, so I'm just confused as to the face. Okay, maybe some of the difference is that when I look in a mirror I usually don't wear my glasses, so my vision is blurred. I look better blurred. More likely the situation is that the me I believe I'm projecting isn't really the real me, he's a little heavier than I want to admit, so the guy in the mirror looks like a stranger.

Right now at least. Diet

Oddly I'm really into photography. There is something powerful about an image. I can get lost in a digital library of photographs, wishing I knew how to frame a subject, how to get the lighting right, how I can get THAT shot...or even better, my own interpretation of something like that.

My RP, who is a longtime attorney, has setup in his living a complete DJ apparatus. Stack speakers, turntables, mixing board, computer mixing programs, everything. You can't go over there without him firing it up. I hope that once I finish this legal education, I can pursue a hobby with the same verve and passion. Okay, other than writing, which I don't spend enough time at to accomplish anything, other than the little novellas I put together for Sporty.

I want to go back to film, with negatives and a dark room. That kind of photography.

When I bought my house...okay, this really was for more of the house I should have bought, which is a whole other story... one of the things I wanted to do was take a lot of pictures of friends and frame them. People don't last forever, but memories can. Right now I even know the frames I want, how I want to arrange them. Who I want in the pictures. But, see the fifth statements in this here post. I've conveniently marked it for you.

But I need to finish one of these novels first.

Oddly, there are no pictures in this post.

Barkeep. A strong black coffee, I'm gonna need my wits about me.

No comments: