Friday, January 21, 2011

Now that's famous

Ramblings Post #165
I've never wanted to be rich and famous. Just rich was enough for me. There is something about people you don't know calling you by your first name in public, and asking about things you know they shouldn't know. Don't get me wrong, I've been treated a mini-Atlanta celebrity on more than few occasions, recognized by folks and given the hookup a time or two. But I don't think I can take the rest of it, the photographers, the stalkers, the problems. I could however, use the money.


This is a Paltrow

Gwyneth Paltrow can thank her publicist. I suggest flowers.

I wasn't quite sure who Gwyneth Paltrow is. I had to look her up on Wikipedia and it appears she is quite the movie star. I bring her up because of a football game party I went to last weekend where after them that folks were cheering for had been effectively thrashed...around say half time for the Falcon fans...a game of Taboo was started.

Women love Taboo. I don't know why. I say this because when my RP used to have game nights at his house, it was a given that at some point in the evening there would be a crowd of women barking clues at each other trying to guess the mystery word. The number of times I would get asked either "when the Taboo game was going to start" or "are you playing" would exceed the requests for ice or to repeat that last drink I made. I would play every so often to be sociable, but the vast majority of the people waiting eagerly were women. I've seen women leave the "thunderdome" with a fine sheen of sweat behind this game. It gets intense.

Taboo, for the initiated is like the old gameshow Password, where you have to guess the secret word from clues your partner gives, only with Taboo you're not allowed to use the best clues.

So, last Saturday, football game well lost by the home team, the card games and other activities kicked into high gear. As I wandered into the kitchen sipping on my Hot Toddy (if want to prove you're black bourgeois, drink a Hot Toddy at a football party) and sidled over to where the women (and the one guy) playing, this exchange happened.

The black woman giving the clues flips to the new card which reads, Gwyneth Paltrow. I couldn't see the verboten words.

She starts: "White woman in Hollywood."
Person guessing: "Jennifer Aniston, Gwyneth Paltrow..."

I switched to hard liquor after that.

I guess Jennifer Aniston should send her person something too. I mean, talk about name recognition.

Barkeep. Whatever, I mean like whoa...

No comments: