Sunday, February 12, 2012

Where Do broken Hearts Go?


The voice of generation. That's how they described her when I heard it on the radio. Sporty had already shot me the email, and I was trying to go to Black Law Student Association function (I tried!) when what sounded like the unfolding of a national tragedy. Partially because it was so far away (the function was at Dave & Busters on 85, which like five or six exits outside the perimeter on the other side of the city), partially because the DJs sounded so depressed, and partially because they played "I Will Always Love You" from the Bodyguard Soundtrack, I turned around and headed home.

The voice of a generation. That phrase resonates, but then back when Whitney came out, and you had to know how to sing, her debut did contain You Give Good Love, Saving All My Love for You, Nobody Loves me Like You, How Will I Know, All at Once and Greatest Love of All. That's six songs I probably can lip sync to even now, without trying. Two years later, she hit us again with I Wanna Dance with Somebody, Didn't We Almost Have it All, and Where Do Broken Hearts Go. And that's just the 80's, the first two albums!

Then there was the Bodyguard Soundtrack, with I'm Every Woman and I Will Always Love You.

I Will Always Love You. I've listened to that song a lot. It's almost my theme song.

Sure Whitney had problems, only amplified by her stardom. But her voice in her prime was as good as it gets (that would be just below Aretha). And I did want to dance with somebody. I thought I gave good love, so I wondered where my broken heart went.

I hope life treats you kind
And I hope you have all you've dreamed of.
And I wish to you, joy and happiness.
But above all this, I wish you love.

I actually have done this. I actually believe that's how you should leave any relationship that didn't work out.

Voice of a generation. She just might have been.

No comments: