Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Waiting on the whistle to start the game...

Ramblings Post #98
I've come to kick ass and chew bubblegum, and I'm all out of bubblegum.


It's been a minute. I'm taking a moment now just to steady my nerves.

I've been neck deep in the study and trying to pull it all together after another semester in the Looney Bin, no time to blog. Around this time every year the lament of "Why did I decide to go to law school again?" rings in the halls as we all stare down the barrel of that single test that will determine if the last few months have all been for naught. Oh joy. I've done one, this one here and one more to go.

I wistfully remember those days when at the end of a semester a professor would tell you "Hey, you already got an A in this class, you don't have to take the final". What happened to those days? I mean really what was wrong with that?

I say this because I don't test well in law school. Law is about writing in a particular style, using particular tools. Well, as a creative writer, guess who occasionally will try to inject something new into the discussion? Note, the law doesn't really like new. I do a lot better on short answer, no chance to get fancy tests than long discussions that let me draw out (in error) some kind of storyline.

But we're here. This test is open book, open notes, open everything. Which means it can be anything.

I've got a 42 page outline. The text book. Three study guides. Copies of a diagram from a fourth study guide. I've been reading for three days. Okay two and half, I slept most of yesterday.

I'm a little scared. Make or break semester here.

Barkeep. Liquid courage. With a shot of smarts.

No comments: