Wednesday, August 19, 2009

First class, first impressions...

Ramblings Post #53
Ah law school. I had started wandering into the office as late as noon, and spent my nights aimlessly searching the web and putting off little things I really needed to do because I could always get to them later. I think I really needed school to get my mind back into gear and make me stop wasting the hours and minutes and everything else. Because I was getting lazy. Too too lazy. And that's not good.


There is something about that room I just don't like.

The fall session of Law School kicked off Tuesday night and it was great to see a few faces that I hadn't seen since the spring. We spent the few minutes before class catching up, saying hi and trying to figure out who had given up the ghost. Since we're all pretty much confined to the same classes, we kinda know who is in and who is out. And thoughtfully, a few us remembered "the room". When I say that I mean our professor came in a did what most of our law school professors have done: have everyone move up front.

This is not to say everyone sat in the back row, it's just that the prof wanted (and of course got) the front row filled in. To do it she emptied the back row, and then the next to the last row. She claimed it was because she didn't want to have to yell. I wanted to mention we were in classroom not a barn, but I wisely kept my mouth shut. That same move up foolishness thing happened last time we were in that room. Then she made us fill out place cards with our names on them so she could read them and learn who we were. One side I wrote my name. On the other side I wrote "Don Pardo".

It felt very elementary school. I wanted milk and cookies. Then she started teaching. And it didn't feel elementary school anymore.

She's a good teacher, but very animated. And I think she seemed a little surprised that we'd done our homework, considering it was the first class. It will be a couple of weeks before I can be sure, but I think she's gonna be a cool teach.

And I discovered the pizza bagel. It was during the break, and the usual university meal spot wasn't open, so we went down to Einstein's Bagels, which I had never been to before. I see them all over, but I could never figure out why I want a bagel after breakfast time. I looked over the menu and decided because I was adventurous to have the pizza bagel. She popped it into this thermo oven that looked industrial and about a minute later put in a box. It looked interesting. It tasted fantastic. Or maybe I was just damned hungry.

So with class over I went home the did what I should have done Sunday, which was read the Constitution for one of the other classes. I'd planned to go over it in detail Sunday morning, but one of my Facebook people said that they didn't even use the Constitution in a class about the Constitution! So I slept in. Then I go online Monday and get the assignment: Bing! Read the Constitution.

I see what you did there. Tricky bassids.

Barkeep. One last one for the road. And a beer back. And a shot. Hell, set'tem up again.

No comments: