Monday, January 20, 2014

MLK

Martin and Coretta. Class not swag.

I'm sorry sir, but we have a ways to go yet.

Your message has been co-opted, by politicians who want to remind people that you sir were a Republican...but fail to mention that the party has wholly transformed since your membership. By those who want to fight what they feel is unjust power, but fail to realize that you never once shirked the consequences of your actions even if the law was unjust. By those making to make a quick buck and plaster your name on flyers and attach it to every cause they can dream up. I'd like to tell you that we remember your message, even though it seems like only in our dreams.

I'm sorry sir, but we have a ways to go yet.

Because with dawn of a new age, where the promise of my childhood that any kid could be the President came true, we uncovered a lot of repressed racism. Even those who would stand with us have touches of it that they themselves don't even recognize. Today people would tell you "You're not like other black people," not realizing it means they've stereotyped all those not in the view. Today people would tell you "When I see you I don't see black," not understanding that to not see your blackness means they'd like to forget their own history. And those are our allies.

I'm sorry sir, but we have a ways to go yet. 

There is a place in the future where a person is judged on the content of their character. Where every man has a voice in their governance. Where the dignity afforded one through hard work and self sacrifice can be achieved by anyone who sets their mind to it, without regard for race or creed. Where we are all EQUAL. 

I'm sorry sir, but we have a ways to go yet.

But we will get there.

1 comment:

JerseyLil said...

Hi M! This is an excellent post. I completely agree with your points and about the repressed racism. I’ve seen it rise up in massive quantities since President Obama was elected. I have actually unfriended former classmates on Facebook and social media over their attitude and rude comments about his election. Although I realize I am a Caucasian woman and cannot fully understand in the same way you can as a Black man, I want you to know I understand. I am a child of the ‘70s, and greatly admired Dr. King. There is definitely a ways to go yet. I hope we can reach it together, we are all Equal.