Sunday, December 16, 2012

A moment for Newtown, Conn.

I've talked about enough of these tragedies in the few years that I've been blogging to not want to talk about another. The repetition of such a story in the news cycle, networks desperate for eyeballs racing at break neck speed down every possible avenue and shining it's flashlight in every corner will only exacerbate the problem. Lonely people, mad at the world see only the blaze of infamy the murderer is bathed in by the media. If they must go, this is how they will want to do it.

It says something about me that once I heard about the tragedy, I checked one or two hastily thrown up articles and then tuned out all news for the rest of the day. I too, in the long long ago, would have tuned in mindlessly for any update, any scrap of news. No more. The repetition of non-news, uninformed explanations and self serving reasoning must have been deafening. I liked to have believed that we were better than that. I guess I was wrong.

My condolences go out to the families who lost children, to the families that lost members who had dedicated their lives to the craft of educating our youth, and to all the people of Newtown, Conn.

No comments: